Saturday, May 7, 2011

Walking the wall

      I used to work for the United Artist Theatre Chain. I loved movies. Over those years I watched hundreds of Movies. It is little wonder that when I write,a reference or two from a movie will make its way into the text.
     Everyone remembers Jack Nicholson’s performance as Col. Jessep in “A Few Good Men”. Even before I write a single thing, I bet that you can guess the line I think about every time I think about that movie.
                                         “ You Can’t Handle the Truth!”
     That whole exchange between Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruz has come to be emblematic of the world that we live in. We hate what he stands for, we even hate what he did, but somewhere in his twisted logic we see a glimmer of truth.
Col. Jessep: “ Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have  to be guarded by men with guns. Who is going to do it? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom”
     We need men and women to protect us, to sound the alarm when danger is near. God has appointed men and women, watchmen, to warn the people to come in to safety. "Son of man, I have appointed you a watchman to the house of Israel;whenever you hear a word from My mouth, warn them for Me.” Ezekiel 3:17 Thewarning was not only for those inside of the kingdom who had fallen away, busy with their own lives, it was also for those outside of the walls, outside of the kingdom.
Col. Jessep: You don’t want the truth because deep down in the places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall.
     From this passage in Ezekiel you would think that he was talking about the Pastors, the “professionals” But it is not. Each and every Christian has been called to walk that wall, to take their place as the watchman. God says, “I have appointed you.”
     Over the last decade or so we have slowly forgotten our charge. We do not want to offend anyone and we have watered down our message. What we are left with is a weak message. “ If you do not repent, so to speak, you might go to hell, as it were.” [1]
     We have lost sight of what the truth is.  Isaiah says; Israel's watchmen are blind, they all lack knowledge; they are all mute dogs, they cannot bark; they lie around and dream, they love to sleep. We are losing generations of people because we have fallen asleep at the switch. We are not innocent!  We will be held responsible for not sounding the alarm. One day the gates will be closed and it will be too late. Can you handle the truth?


[1] Quote by Dr. David Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment